Following his huge success with the Chiefs, Dave Rennie has been appointed Head Coach for the Glasgow Warriors in Scotland and will take up his new role at the completion of the 2017 Investec Super Rugby season.
There has been a lot of discussion over the past week around the behaviour of Chiefs players at post season events in 2015 and 2016 and we just wanted to address this directly with you, our fans, sponsors and stakeholders.
With remarkable skills and speed to burn, rising star Damian McKenzie shapes as key player for the Gallagher Chiefs when they challenge for the inaugural Brisbane Global Tens title at Suncorp Stadium in February.
McKenzie may have narrowly missed out on the initial All Blacks squad for the Investec Rugby Championship, however, after a stellar Super Rugby campaign, his chances of a call-up soon enough appear strong.
For now, McKenzie is looking forward to the next time he will don a Chiefs jersey - most likely at Suncorp Stadium in February at the Brisbane Global Tens tournament that was unveiled today (Thursday) in Auckland and Brisbane as a showpiece event to mark the start of the rugby season.
“I personally can’t wait for the Brisbane Global Tens – it’s going to be such an awesome tournament featuring so many great teams and players,” said McKenzie, who attended today’s launch in Auckland.
Played at Brisbane’s incredible Suncorp Stadium on February 11 and 12, the Brisbane Global Tens features all 10 New Zealand and Australian Super Rugby clubs plus French powerhouse Toulon, Japan’s Robbie Deans-coached Panasonic Wild Knights, South Africa’s Blue Bulls and the Samoan national team.
Teams featuring the game’s biggest stars will compete in ten-a-side matches over 10-minute halves in pool play and then knockout matches.
“To have so many international club teams in one place at one time over what will be a massive weekend of rugby - it’s going to be rugby heaven for not only the fans, but us players as well!” said McKenzie. “It will be a tough competition with teams vying to take out the inaugural tournament win.”
McKenzie called upon the Chiefs’ army of loyal fans to make the trip across The Ditch to support the team (and have a great holiday in the process).
“What a great way to kick off the Super Rugby season in 2017 - I’ll see you all there at Suncorp Stadium in February.”
Chiefs CEO Andrew Flexman said the event promised to be a “special few days for fans of Super Rugby”.
“We are thrilled to be a part of the inaugural Brisbane Global Tens. The tournament is a great opportunity for our athletes to showcase their skills.”
Tickets, which go on sale to general public in New Zealand from Thursday, August 11, can be purchased from www.ticketek.com.au/BrisbaneTens
For more information on corporate packages and travel package specials visit the official Brisbane Global Tens website at
Brisbane Global Tens
- All ten Australian and New Zealand Super Rugby clubs and four elite invitational teams will compete (in 2017 the event will feature Toulon, the Bulls, Samoa and the Panasonic Wild Knights)
- Ten-players-per-side, ten-minutes-per-half, knockout tournament
- Culmination of a week-long festival of rugby
- 16 hours of compelling live rugby, featuring 28 matches played over two days
- Broadcast live across Australia, New Zealand, UK, Japan, Africa, France and other major international markets
- Held annually on the second weekend of February, two weeks prior to the start of the Super Rugby season, at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
- Launches the rugby season in Australia and New Zealand
- Sanctioned by the Australian Rugby Union and the New Zealand Rugby Union
- Tickets on sale in New Zealand from Thursday August 11. Visit www.ticketek.com.au/BrisbaneTens
- For more information on corporate packages and travel package specials visit the official Brisbane Global Tens website at www.brisbaneglobaltens.com or https://sportsnetholidays.com/events/rugby/brisbane-global-tens-2017/
Six Gallagher Chiefs players have been named in the All Blacks squad for the 2016 Investec Rugby Championship starting on August 20 in Sydney.